Page 64

This 8.3-acre parcel was part of the Dillingham estate at the corner of Beretania and Punahou streets, "well away from the center of town" but within easy reach of the new residential areas.

B. F. Dillingham, an ex-seaman who rose to wealth and prominence as a Honolulu businessman, had purchased the property in 1879 with his wife, Emma Louise Smith Dillingham, a daughter of early missionaries. On this property which they called Woodlawn they had built a commodious "cottage" with "high airy rooms and spreading verandas" and had raised their family of four, two surviving sons and two daughters.89

The senior Dillinghams had both been members of the Bethel Union congregation before their marriage in 1869 and therefore were early members of Central Union. 

[64]

© 2017 Central Union Church                                    “We Engage and Embrace ALL As We Seek to Embody Christ