In the early 1950’s a great number of Central Union Church (CUC) members residing in Kailua and Kaneohe expressed their desire for a Congregational church in their neighborhood. CUC started with a church school program for children and a simple worship service. It was enthusiastically received and expanded so rapidly that at its meeting in January 1955, the CUC Board of Trustees approved a large increase in the budget to provide for the construction of Central Union Windward. Harold K. Castle donated 3.5 acres of land. The sanctuary was completed and dedicated in September 1956.
In 1963, CUC, true to its tradition of nurturing new churches, encouraged this congregation to become an independent organization. Thus, Windward United Church of Christ (WUCC) was born.
In 2018, WUCC determined that the best opportunity to continue the mission into the future and to evolve into a church that remains relevant in a changing landscape was to rejoin with CUC. The agreement and transfer were documented in August 2018. Upon receiving title to the property and other assets, CUC will continue the Mission under the name Central Union Windward (CUW).
Power and Authority
Unlike other CUC ministries that take place at the Honolulu campus, the Central Union Windward Ministry (CUW Ministry) encompasses the church buildings and grounds, including the sanctuary, office wing, classroom space, fellowship hall, kitchen, preschool rooms, parking lots, and a two-bedroom cottage. Making CUW a ministry recognizes autonomy while affirming that it is one piece of a much greater whole. By designating CUW as a ministry, we are recognized as part of the lay structure of CUC and have a responsibility as church members. Members of CUW have the same privileges and responsibilities as all members of Central Union Church.