A sacred place for your special day



1. How far in advance can the Sanctuary, Atherton Chapel, or Atherton Courtyard be reserved for a wedding?
Our wedding venues may be reserved up to 18 – 24 months in advance, when accompanied by a deposit. Due to the popularity of our venues we encourage you to submit your application as early as possible.

2. Will we need a State of Hawaii marriage license?
Yes, unless you already have proof of legal marriage, you will need a marriage license from the State of Hawaii.

3. Where can we obtain a state marriage license?
Please click here for detailed information.

4. When are we required to remit payment for the ceremony?
A Final Payment Letter will be e-mailed to you 4-6 weeks prior to your wedding at which time your full payment will be due.

5. How should we remit payment for the ceremony?
Your deposit and/or final payment may be made online by clicking on the link below:
Please note that there is a 3% service fee that will be incurred and added to the balance amount when paying online using the above link.If you wish to avoid paying the additional fee, you may also pay by check, made out to Central Union Church, and mailed to:
Attn: Accounting Department
Central Union Church
1660 S. Beretania Street
Honolulu, HI 96826

If paying by check, please be sure to write the date and venue for your wedding in the memo section for easy identification.

6. As a member of another church, may I have my own minister participate in the ceremony?
Possibly. A guest clergy form must be completed and be approved by our Senior Minister. A guest minister may assist during the wedding, but our Central Union Church minister will officiate.

7. May we have our own organist and soloist provide the music for our wedding?
Organist: No. The church will provide a professional organist for your wedding.
Soloist: Perhaps. The church can provide a professional soloist, if requested. Any guest soloist must be auditioned by our director of music and obtain her approval regarding the selections to be sung. If a rehearsal is necessary, there may be an extra fee required.

8. Does the church have wedding coordinators?
Yes. A wedding coordinator will be assigned to you for your rehearsal and wedding.

9. Do you require pre-marital counseling?
Yes. The minister assigned will contact you to schedule a counseling session prior to your wedding.

10. May we bring in our own decorations?
Atherton Chapel: Flower arrangements may be used as communion table decorations and may be taken home after the wedding. Floral arrangements should not obstruct the pewter cross on the communion table.
Main Sanctuary: The Church Flower Committee changes the arrangement weekly. Brides may request particular colors for that arrangement, but no guarantees can be made that the committee will be able to accommodate the request.
Both venues: Pew decorations are acceptable. Pew clips are required when placing floral decorations on the ends of the pews and may be requested 1 week prior to your wedding date or your chosen florist may supply you with some of their own.

11. Is it possible to change into our formal attire at the church?
No, the couple and bridal party must come fully dressed. We do not have dressing rooms available.

12. Is there adequate parking for our wedding guests?
Although Central Union Church does have ample free parking available, for weddings where your expected guest count will be 100 people or more, we ask that you contract a Church approved professional valet/parking service in order to ensure that all vehicles are parked in the appropriate spaces available.

13. Is it our duty to provide the unity candles?
Yes. The church has candle stands available, but the couple must provide their own unity candles

14. May our mothers light the unity candles?
Yes. They may light them before the ceremony begins.

15. How long will the ceremony take?
Each ceremony may vary slightly, but generally lasts about 20-25 minutes.

16. What is the total time that we will be allowed to use the church?
The church is reserved for 2 hours: 1 hour before the ceremony begins, 30 minutes for the ceremony, and 30 minutes after the ceremony ends.

17. Will the ring bearer carry the actual rings?
No. The best man or the maid of honor should carry the rings.

18. Will the children in the bridal party stand during the ceremony?
No. They will sit with their family in the front pews.

19. May we have a flower shower or bubble shower after the ceremony?
Yes. Bubble Showers or Flower Showers using light colored, “organic” petals are allowed outside of the church. Please do not use dark colored petals, or artificial petals for flower showers. Throwing confetti, rice, or birdseed is not allowed inside or outside of the wedding venue.

20. How much time is allowed for photography?
As the schedule allows, you may take photographs starting 1 hour before the ceremony for approximately 30 minutes, and then for 20 minutes after the ceremony is completed.

21. If the couple do not wish to see each other before the ceremony, will you allow additional time for photography after the ceremony?
Yes. If there are no other weddings reserved (before or after the ceremony), extra time may be requested for an additional fee.

22. Will we be required to clean the church after the ceremony?
No. That will be taken care of by the church’s custodial staff.

We hope that this has answered any questions you might have concerning your wedding. Please send any additional questions you may have to events@centralunionchurch.org and we will be happy to answer them for you!

Wedding Music

A wedding ceremony at Central Union Church is a worship service. All wedding music will reflect the traditions of both Central Union Church and the United Church of Christ. The Principal Organist is available to assist a couple with their selection of sacred music appropriate to the beauty and integrity of the worship service.

All musical selections will be approved by the Director of Music.

Only Central Union Church designated organists will play the organ for the wedding ceremony.

If desired, a professional soloist associated with Central Union Church will be scheduled to sing music from a selected list of wedding solos. Should a couple request an outside soloist, the soloist may be asked to provide a performance CD. When approved, this soloist will be asked to arrange rehearsal time with the scheduled organist (for an additional rehearsal fee) prior to the wedding rehearsal.

Any arrangements for additional musicians requested for prelude music prior to the wedding ceremony will need to be approved and/or facilitated by the Principal Organist.

Bridal March Harp

Canon in D

Gift of Love

Hawaiian Wedding Song


Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desire

Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee



Wedding March Harp

Wedding March

NO recorded music will be used as a part of the wedding itself.

Thank you for considering to have your wedding with us!

At Central Union Church our goal is to provide the best experience for your special day.
To get started, please fill out the contact form below to connect with our events coordinator who will assist you with your planning needs.

Get Started