Invest in the Community Work of Faith Action
Faith Action for Community Equity is a 501(c)3 non-profit currently comprised of 16 O‘ahu interdenominational Christian churches and two community groups. Central Union Church became a member in 2016. Annually, members are asked to “invest” in Faith Action’s work through donations of any amount.
Since 1996, Faith Action has focused on addressing the systemic inequities that affect our neighbors. It works with community groups, neighborhood boards, the city council, and the state legislature. We write, speak, and stand up to make the voice of faith heard by decision-makers.
Examples of needs we have worked on:
Achieved decades ago:
- Bus shelters were built.
- Kalihi Valley residents got safe sidewalks for their neighborhood.
- Long-neglected Kalihi Valley Housing was renovated.
- Kukui Gardens apartments were saved for low income renters.
Needs partially met:
- In 2018, the legislature established modest financial support to assist family members caring for Kupuna from low to moderate income families.
- Also in 2018, the “Bob Nakata Act” significantly increased funds available to help make housing rentals more affordable.
- This legislative session, minimum wage for Hawaii’s workers was moved an inch closer to a living wage.
Still working on:
- Truly affordable housing for working families that make $80,000 or less a year. Studies indicate 30% of our homeless are working families.
- We are visible in protecting O‘ahu’s endangered drinking water, vital to all life.
Ways to Invest:
- Cash or check payable to “Faith Action for Community Equity”
Give to your unit representative Evie Hao (808-223-6399)
OR mail to:
Faith Action for Community Equity
PO Box 235950
Honolulu, HI 96823
- Give online at givebutter.com/invest2