A Greek language professor once told me, “Context is everything.” Knowing the context of a Bible verse is important when working to understand it. It is also vitally important to discern our own context. What thoughts, feelings, attitudes, and assumptions are we bringing to the verse we’re meditating on? Below are 10 questions meant to help you discern your current context. Choose one or two and reflect on where your head and heart are:
1. What am I enjoying about life?
2. Am I taking care of myself physically?
3. Am I letting matters that are out of my control stress me out?
4. What am I looking forward to?
5. Am I holding on to something I need to let go of?
6. What have I been spending the majority of my time on? How do I feel about that?
7. What matters most in my life? 8. What relationships am I investing in?
9. What about the future is worrisome for me today? 10. What about today am I truly grateful for?